Standard Chartered's new staff-centric global brand campaign
Standard Chartered has launched a new, employee-centric global brand campaign with the message: “Good enough will never change the world”.
This is a refresh of its former “Here for good” brand promise, launched in 2010.
“Here for good” showed how a bank could be a force for good by promoting economic activity that has a positive social impact. The new campaign retains the original brand promise but sharpens Standard Chartered’s focus on how banks can help tackle some of the problems that stand in the way of global prosperity and commerce.
This marketing campaign, however, was not only targeted at external stakeholders, but employees as well. What’s unique about it, is an eighteen-month deep-dive into the values underpinning Standard Chartered, which engaged the insights of clients as well as 85,000 employees across 68 countries through brand workshops and a global survey
Through brand workshops and a global survey:
- Over 3,500 employees joined workshops in markets across Asia, Africa, and the Middle East
- Over 200 clients gave candid feedback on what they liked and didn’t like about the brand in interviews conducted in Hong Kong, Kenya, Malaysia, Singapore, and the UK
- 72,000 employees (90% of staff) completed a bank-wide employee survey on core values
Standard Chartered was also able to formulate a new set of internal values, based on employees’ responses. The values ultimately formed the basis of the campaign.
1. Never settle
- Don’t stop just because something is hard
- Continuously improve, innovate and simplify
- Learn from successes and mistakes
2. Better together
- Encourage breakthrough thinking that comes from having different perspectives
- Ambition deserves support wherever it comes from
- Build for the long term
3. Do the right thing
- Confront challenges and don’t retreat from complex problems
- Promote economic activity that has a positive social benefit
- Put the client’s interest first and conduct business with integrity
“What is really exciting about the next chapter in ‘Here for good’ is that it’s deeply rooted in the Bank’s clients, employees and history” said Emma Sheller, Global Head, Brand and Marketing. “It’s also about being in tune with what’s happening in the world. We set the bar high with ‘Here for good’. Now we are setting it higher with ‘Good enough will never change the world.’”
The campaign kicked off on April 30 in Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. It will roll out in 2018 in phases across the rest of the Bank’s footprint.